The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) has new telework guidance for federal employees in response to the growing interest in remote work and telework options. The supplemental guidance will give agencies resources to support those alternative work options for their employees.
- OPM Director Kiran Ahuja said the comprehensive, informative guide promotes liberal telework and remote work (permanent telework) in response to the success and lessons learned during the pandemic.
- Ahuja also talked about cybersecurity, saying the agency has put in place better security tools, cyber education and incident response since experiencing two major cyber breaches in 2015.
- Ahuja said bringing new talent into government by focusing on mission will be her priority as director and said OPM recently issued new hiring authorities to hire more interns and recent graduates.
- She said OPM is trying to lead in diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility and that diversity encompasses more than just race.
- As far as the federal employee vaccine mandate, Ahuja emphasized the importance of the vaccine but said, “we are not in the job of removing people from their positions.” She said agencies are currently going through documentation and attestations.